Vehicle Property Damage

When an accident does not result in injury or death, but does cause damage to a vehicle, each driver involved must:

1. Immediately stop as close to the accident scene as possible without obstructing traffic more than is necessary.

2. Remain at the scene until: a) each driver has exchanged names and addresses and vehicle registrations; and b) if requested, the driver has shown his or her license to the driver or passengers of the other vehicle.

3. Send a written report to the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles, PRF/Crash Report Section, P.O. Box 7169, Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 within 10 days after the accident, if the accident, if the accident results in total property damage of at least $1,000. The written report can be found at

While $1,000 in property damage may seem like a lot, it is not. Often times it is hard to decide, particularly after just having been involved in a crash, whether the damage it $1,000. I believe that it is better to error on the side of caution and report the accident if there is any property damage. If there is any question, call the police to the scene!

Justia Lawyer Rating
AV Martindale-Hubbell
Indiana State Bar Association
Super Lawyers
Indiana Trial Lawyers Association
Avvo Raiting